OFSTED November 2017
'Pupils’ safety and well-being is at the heart of everything the school does. Pupils speak highly of how much the school cares for them and how it has helped them since they started to attend.'
'Inspectors found that the school has an effective curriculum which enables pupils to progress to the next stage of their education with worthwhile qualifications, including GCSEs.'
'Leaders have high expectations of what pupils can achieve. Expectations of academic progress in mathematics and English are the same as those expected in a mainstream school.'
'The majority of pupils achieve this rate of progress. During their second term of attendance, rates of progress for some pupils are accelerated further.'
Hawkswood’s aims are to:
- to support pupils in developing strategies that enable them to manage effectively the stresses and pressures of their lives within the context of their individual diagnoses;
- to ensure high quality access to their educational entitlement through personalised programmes;
- to provide an environment where academic, emotional and social progression are equally valued and celebrated;
- to raise self-esteem and self-value through an holistic approach to both learning and personal development
- to encourage and nurture the development of self-discipline, self-confidence, resilience, initiative, leadership, communication and the skills necessary to make informed and positive choices
- to work with Waltham forest Secondary schools in supporting all of our pupils in reaching their academic and personal potential
What are our school times?
- 9.00-9.55: Period 1
- 9.55-10.50: Period 2
- 10.50-11.05: Breaktime/ Breakfast
- 11.05-12.00: Period 3
- 12.00-12.55: Period 4
- 12.55-1.30: Lunch
- 1.30-2.30: Period 5
Our free Breakfast Club is open from 8.30am until 8.50am, which gives time to clear everything away before school starts at 9am. Hot drinks, toast and cereal are available at Breakfast Club. Students are also always welcome to stay after school to complete homework assignments if they wish to do so.
Arrivals and departures
Hawkswood has a small therapy team and a CAMHs therapist onsite. Hawkswood provides a very caring environment, and students feel very safe here. We advise students not to arrive before 8.30am, as there will be no staff to supervise them. We recognise that some children may feel anxious about leaving school at the same time as mainstream schools in the area, and therefore classes at Hawkswood end at 2.30pm (with just a half hour break for lunch). The whole of the school grounds is a non-smoking area, including e-cigarettes.
Getting to school
Most pupils arrive at school via local transport. The 215 and 397 buses stop just down the road. Chingford Train Station provides overhead access to the area and the 215 bus accesses Walthamstow Central linking with London Underground.
Pupils with SEN may be entitled to transportation by Waltham Forest transport. To find out if you meet the criteria, please contact the Transport Officer via Waltham Forest SEN.
Hawkswood caters specifically for vulnerable young people in KS3 and KS4, and placements range from one to two terms. Hawkswood does not have a school uniform, but students are able to wear their own school uniform if they wish to do so. However, students are also welcome to wear their own clothes, provided these are appropriate for school, i.e. no mini skirts, bare shoulders or midriffs, high heels etc. Hoodies should not be worn, and shorts are not allowed.
Food in school
A mid-day meal is available for all children attending Hawkswood. Each day there is a choice of main course and dessert, and special dietary requirements can be catered for.
Paying for lunch
School lunches cost £2 per day per student. Methods of payment are usually by cash (via the Office Manager) or bank transfer.
Students are also welcome to bring in a packed lunch if they prefer. We encourage healthy eating at Hawkswood and ask that fizzy drinks are not brought into school. Some students may be entitled to free school meals if their families meet the criteria. If you think your child may be eligible, please contact the school office for further information.