Although Burnside Secondary School PRU is an intervention within itself, we offer our pupils a variety of Interventions to enable them to progress with rapid success, academically, socially and emotionally. This includes, but is not limited to;
- 1:2:1 Sessions; Mentors; Spark 2 Life; School Nurse; 722; Safer Schools Officer; Educational Psychologist.
- Weekly Mentoring
- Regular meetings with students’ families and termly parent/carer events.
- Weekly assemblies on a variety of topics such as: Guy Fawkes Night, Knife Crime, Positive behaviour, Section 60 Stop and search, rewards for attendance and attainment.
- Home visits carried out by Safer Schools Officer, Student Social Workers, Mentors, Educational Welfare Officers.
- Literacy and Numeracy KS3 classes
We have a strong team of support staff who facilitate these interventions and support our students. They include a team of Mentors who are allocated to each student individually and this allows them to have 1:1 sessions and greater support whilst in school. As a team the staff at Burnside excel in student support and intervention, changing our student's lives and making an impact by helping them overcome obstacles to learning and progression.
We have also put in place a Numeracy and Literacy intervention. This will enable weaker students to catch up and improve in problematic areas of their knowledge and allow others to build on their already acquired skills and knowledge.
"Reading, writing, speaking and listening, are at the heart of every subject in secondary school. Focusing time and resources on improving reading and writing skills will have positive knock-on effects elsewhere, whether that’s being able to break down scientific vocabulary or structure a history essay." - Sir Kevan Collins, Chief Executive of the Education Endowment Foundation
For more information about the range of interventions we offer, please see our 2021-22 Inclusion and Intervention Map below.