Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND) and the Local Offer
Hawkswood Primary’s Local offer
Hawkswood Primary is:
- A school with a strong Inclusive ethos
- A place that values individuality and recognises that each person has an important contribution to make to our society
- A provider of equal access and opportunity for all
- Continuously, actively seeking to remove the barriers to learning and supports interactive participation of all its children ensuring best outcomes for all
Please see attachments below for a copy of our most recent SEN Information Report.
What is the purpose of Hawkswood Primary’s Local offer?
The School’s Local Offer has two key purposes:
- To make provision more responsive to local needs a part of the new Children and Families Act, schools have been directed to produce a Local Offer. The Local Offer will change as services, policies and guidance changes. The school will regularly evaluate the breadth and impact of interventions and support it offers and accesses. Reasonable adjustments will be made to promote equality and inclusion.
- To provide clear, comprehensive and accessible information about the support as well as criteria for support and opportunities which are available.
Hawkswood Primary School has a Provision Map Record which is a register of all students who receive additional support in the following categories:
- Children who require SEN Support: Your child is receiving extra intervention to support them to achieve their expected level e.g. Literacy intervention both in and outside of the classroom OR that your child has an outside agency working with them e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Play Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Visual impairment team or Educational Psychologist .
- Children who have an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP): Your child has been identified as having needs that require extra support to access the curriculum. They will be entitled to additional adult support with learning and a high level of differentiation from class teachers.
How does Hawkswood Primary School know that children need help?
Children may be identified as having additional SEN (Special Educational Needs) through a variety of ways including the following:
· Liaison with the pupils Mainstream school
· Child performing below age expected levels
· Concerns raised by Parent
· Through termly Pupil Progress Meetings
· Concerns raised around behaviour or self-esteem and how it could be affecting performance
· Liaison with external agencies
· Health diagnosis through paediatrician/doctor
As a school we measure children’s progress in learning against national expectations and age related expectations. The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. As a school, we track children’s progress from entry to the PRU, with baseline assessments using a variety of different methods including National Curriculum levels and the Foundation Stage Profiles.
What should I do if I think that my child needs help?
Talk to us – firstly contact your child’s class teacher. If you require more information contact our Head Teacher (Mrs. Gentles) or Deputy Head Teacher’s (Ms. Mwaniki & Mrs L'Aimable). We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that you are able to do the same with us.
How will the curriculum support my child’s needs?
All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access the curriculum according to their specific needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be three different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated. The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all children can access each lesson and learn at their level.
Please click on the link below to view our local offer.
Waltham Forest’s Local Offer is available on the Waltham Forest Website and tells parents how to access services in their area and what to expect from these services